As we age and go through hormonal shifts, thinning hair happens to everyone, including women. Its unnoticeable at first, but gradually around the temples or crown, hair begins to disappear. Sometimes the center part gets wider and wider or hair just thins all over leaving lush locks suddenly thin and brittle. Women generally don’t get a receding front hairline, like men do, but just because the hair loss isn’t as noticeable, doesn’t mean it doesn’t rock your confidence the same way.
While there’s no way to completely stop your hair loss, some people do have an option for preventing their hair loss by preserving the follicles that remain. Let us introduce Platelet Rich Plasma or PRP.
PRP is a high concentration your body’s own plasma. It contains three to five times the number of platelets found in normal circulating blood which is why it is so effective at revitalizing cells and stimulating hair growth.
After our R.N. draws a sample of blood, she spins it through a centrifuge which separates the good stuff, the plasma, from the red and white blood cells. PRP is then injected directly into the areas of the scalp where hair is thinning.
In our skincare practice, aesthetician, Colleen Shimamoto, uses platelet rich plasma with micropenning, nicknamed “The Vampire Facial”, to treat textural and pigmentation issues on the face.
Both on the face and on the scalp, the micropen with PRP produces dramatic results.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy
- ● Results: Patients usually see considerable hair growth in two to six months after the first treatment. It may take up to six treatments to achieve the desired result.*
- ● Good candidates: Women and men who are in the early stages of hair loss. MicroPen with PRP will not regrow hair on people who are already bald.
- ● Risks: Because it comes from your own body there are no safety concerns. In fact doctors have been using the revitalizing qualities of PRP to treat a variety of conditions since the early 1970s.
- ● Pain: With a topical anesthetic, patients generally feel no pain.
- ● Treatment Time: 45 minutes – one hour
If you’re concerned about thinning hair and think MicroPen with PRP might help, don’t wait any longer. The sooner hair loss is addressed, the better we can help restore a fuller, healthy head of hair.
* Individual patient results may vary.